Edmonds, WA 98020
Email | LinkedIn | Portfolio
GRAPHIC DESIGN | ILLUSTRATION | WEB DESIGN
Award-winning graphic designer, with an eye towards the beautiful, original, and unusual that drives brand awareness. Proven ability in conceptualizing new ideas and thinking outside the box to create memorable impressions. Adept at pulling rabbits out of hat to create visually appealing and tactile collateral materials that surprise and delight stakeholders at a reasonable cost. Expertise working with and meeting tight deadlines.
SKILLS: Adobe Illustrator | Photoshop | InDesign for the web and print | Intermediate CSS | HTML | After Effects. Work on Mac and PC platform.
Logos and Branding | Illustration | Web Graphics | Animations | Infographics | Mood board | Book Design
Illuminations | Newsletters | Magazine covers/design | High End Stationery/Invitations | Microsites
FRED HUTCHINSON CANCER RESEARCH CENTER 2013 – 2020
Illustrator, Print and Web Designer, Communications and Marketing Division.
Let go as a part of employee reduction due to economic impact from the coronavirus pandemic.
Print collateral including print ads, sales and marketing material, invitations, such as Chefs and Hutch Holiday Gala and all corresponding web graphics. Illustrations and animations for original stories. Environmental graphics for rebrand. Designed microsites for special events. Created cover illustrations for Fred Hutch Magazine.
- Upon one day’s notice, devised a welcome gift for visiting Vice President Joe Biden. Created a visually compelling booklet honoring his Cancer Moonshot listening tour.
- For the 100-year Fred Hutchinson birthday anniversary designed a hand-made book/card signed by the entire campus for immediate Hutchinson family members.
- Bought $12 science flasks and had them engraved to a donor. Used that same idea for employees and had personal notes, rolled up and tied with thread and dropped into the flasks. These unique gifts were lifetime keepsakes.
- Designed Fred Hutch magazine covers for departing long term employees as parting mementos
- When launching Fred Hutch Instagram, increased viewer ships by inserting photo-props called “cell fie”
- Introduced laser etched insertions into trophies
- During an organization-wide rebranding initiative, developed ways to introduce the new logo on all public and internal facing entrances exits, windows and vehicles.
MILLER CARNEY MILLER DESIGN STUDIO 1991 – PRESENT
Design services including branding, marketing, web design and illustration and book design. Principal Designer/Owner, Graphic Designer/Illustrator Sample client list includes:
- Part-time as a graphic designer/illustrator for the Everett Herald
- Consultant and web designer for Rick Anderson (www.byobwebsite.com) specializing in customizing Thesis theme for WordPress, examples: BobSullivan.net, Elana Winsberg, Relief App by Robin Layton, hoop: the american dream by Robin Layton, 12 book by Robin Layton and the lake by Robin Layton
- Maintain blog, social media and graphic designer for Robin Layton Photography. Book design and layout for hoop: the American dream and 12 book by robin Layton.
- Microsoft Windows 8 group illustrating UI for new products
- Globetrotter Grant website design
- Stitches (in Seattle) branding
MSNBC.COM 1996 – 2010
Senior Graphics Editor
- Designed and produced covers, illustrations, and graphics for all sections
- Designed branding and pages for “The Elkhart Project”, a groundbreaking editorial initiative which won the prestigious National Press Club award.
- Designer for Big Picture: The Academy Awards, recognized by Society for News Design, Best of New Media.
- Designed and produced show fronts, such as Cooking School on Today, A Woman’s Nation, Today Wedding and Today Moms.
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER 1991 – 1996
- Produced feature illustrations, maps, charts and info-graphics
- Designed section fronts and special sections such as Getaways outdoors sections, What’s Happening arts, entertainment covers
- Art directed P-I News for Kids, working with children and freelance artist to create fun, informative, innovative occasional special sections
- Collaborated with photographers on Home/Garden and Spring Fashion special sections for exceptional photos and layouts
San Francisco Examiner, Graphic designer, page designer, illustrator.
Dallas Times Herald, Advertising department. Worked with sales staff to build ads for newspaper clients before joining the Editorial Art department.
Corley Design Studio, San Angelo, Texas. Working in all aspects of advertising, ads, brochures. Creating grocery store weekly circulars and Hemphill-Wells illustrated advertisement.
Won Hermes 2015 Awards:
Platinum: Fred Hutch Visitor Center Opening | Making medical information Big Data-ready illustration
Gold: How Cells put themselves to sleep illustration | Holiday Gala Invitation | Fred Hutch DNA Birthday Card | Diet Dilemma Illustration
Honorable Mention: Fred Hutch Science Spectrum Invitation
B.A., Fine Arts, English minor, Angelo State University, San Angelo, TX
Print a PDF version